Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Ciaran's introduction!

Hi my name is Ciaran. I am 23 years old. I grew up in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada. I graduated from University two years ago and I am currently a counselor with at risk youth at a camp in the wilderness in Northern British Columbia. I have done some traveling over the past 7 years, but have always been limited to where I go and what I do on my travels because of time limits to get back to school, work and other commitments. I have recently decided to embark on a trip around the world, starting first where I am now in Prince George, British Columbia. This July, 2013 I will be giving up my basement suit, selling my furniture and my car, and will be living out of my tent or wherever else I end up. I will only allow myself to take very minimal money with me for this journey (estimated 3 years), as this trip is not about staying in hotels and resorts, flying to destinations, eating in restaurants etc. I plan on supporting myself by doing things like WOOFING, couch surfing, crewing on yachts, living off of the land, house sitting, volunteering, hitch hiking and whatever other opportunities come up. I will still be working at my current job until I am ready to leave British Columbia as I work one week on and then get one week off.  The reason for this journey is because since I traveled with my uncle and cousins to Vietnam when I was 16 I have wanted to see the world. I still have not been everywhere I want to go, and I am tired of going on small trips, leaving my job and everything behind, and then coming back a few months later having to start again. I want to go learn about the world, see new things, meet new people, get new skills, and get a better idea of what I want to do with my life. I love where I was born and where I live, but I do know it is just a small part of this very big world, and I want to be able to understand more about the whole world so I can understand myself and the place I come from better on a whole. This is the right time for me to do this as I don't have any commitments, I am healthy, enthusiastic and motivated! I hope this blog will help inspire you, entertain you, and introduce you to new things and ideas that will help you in your own life and possible travels. Feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, offers, or requests and I will try to make at least one post a week on this blog.

3 comments:

Yaz said...

Wow, didn't realise it would be 3 years.... man, you will love it and will learn so much! I am convinced that such a trip is the best thing you can do. It will blow your mind and change you if you let it!
Looking forward to hear all about it, so keep up the blogging :)

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading your blogs. You are a very exciting person!

Unknown said...

Hey Ciaran.... how does one wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY when you don't respond to email and your phone isn't connected??

Anyway, I already sent you a birthday message, but Happy Birthday on here too just in case you sign on!

Have a good one bro, wherever you may be. (From Aunt Kathy too b'cause she can't reach you either.....)

Devon